Auction 035 A special Chabad Auction in Honor of the Thirty Fifth Anniversary of Hei Teves - the Renowned Victory in the Seforim Case – Didan Notzach
Dec 7, 2021
8 Ramban St, Jerusalem., Israel

This auction features letters and rare items of Chabad Rebbes and Rebbetzins.
The auction has ended

LOT 13:

500-Dollar Bill Given by Rebbe Rayatz Before His Move to 770 - With Certificate of Authenticity Signed by His ...

  Previous item
Next item 
Sold for: $16,000
Start price:
$ 2,000
Buyer's Premium: 25%
VAT: 17% On commission only
Users from foreign countries may be exempted from tax payments, according to the relevant tax regulations

500-Dollar Bill Given by Rebbe Rayatz Before His Move to 770 - With Certificate of Authenticity Signed by His Daughter Rebbetzin Chana Gurary

500-dollar bill given by Rebbe Rayatz in 1940 to his daughter Rebbetzin Chana and to his son-in-law R. Shemaryahu Gurary, before their move to their new quarters at 770 Eastern Parkway.
The bill, issued in 1934, bears the portrait of William McKinley, the 25th president of the USA.
Letter of authenticity enclosed (handwritten note, in English), signed in Hebrew by Rebbetzin Chana Gurary (1899-1991), eldest daughter of Rebbe Rayatz: "I hereby gift... the 500 bill that I received from my father. While in the Greystone Hotel my father told me that they just closed on buying 770 and that we would be all moving soon. He gave me the 500 bill and said to start shopping for housewares that me and my husband would need for our apartment. My husband and I used other monies and I saved this 500 bill". The letter is dated 3rd September, 1989.

After the death of Rebbe Rashab of Lubavitch, his son, Rebbe Rayatz succeeded him in leading the Chabad movement with utmost devotion during the devastating years of religious persecution in Russia after the Communist revolution. For 30 years, his daughter Rebbetzin Chana and his son-in-law R. Shemaryahu Gurary (the Rashag) stood by the rebbe's side; they moved with him from Russia to Riga in 1927 and to Poland in 1933.
In 1939, with the outbreak of WWII, Rebbe Rayatz, his mother Rebbetzin Shterna Sarah, his wife Rebbetzin Nechama Dina and his daughter Rebbetzin Chana and her husband, R. Shemaryahu Gurary were stranded in Warsaw under German occupation, their lives in great danger. After the intervention of the US government, and with the assistance of several German officers, the Rayatz succeeded in fleeing Warsaw, together with an entourage of about 20 family members and friends. After several months of travail and wandering, they left occupied Europe in Adar I, 1940 and sailed to the US.
On Monday, 8th Adar II 1940, after sailing the seas for 12 days, Rebbe Tayatz arrived to New York. On 9th Adar II, following a short reception at the port, the Rayatz arrived at his temporary quarters – Room 609 at the Greystone Hotel on Broadway and 91st Street in Manhattan NY.
Immediately thereafter, the Agudas Chasidei Chabad invested great efforts in finding an appropriate permanent residence for the rebbe and his family. R. Shlomo Aharon Kazarnovsky headed the committee established for this purpose.
On Friday, 12th Menachem Av 1940, the Agudas Chasidei Chabad purchased a suitable residence for the Rayatz and his family – the building at 770 Eastern Parkway, in the center of the Crown Heights neighborhood in Brooklyn, NY. On 19th Elul, the Rayatz and his family moved to their new quarters and two days later, on Tuesday, 21th Elul, the official dedication ceremony (Chanukat Habayit) took place, with the participation of the Rayatz. The ceremony was attended by a large group of his Chassidim.
The building at 770 Eastern Parkway, built in 1933 for the Jewish physician Y. Rosenman, had three floors and a basement. The first floor housed the synagogue, the beit midrash and the offices. The Rayatz lived on the second floor which also housed his study and the quarters of his mother, Rebbetzin Shterna Sarah. His daughter Chana and her husband, R. Shemaryahu Gurary lived on the third floor, which also housed the latter's study and the offices of the Central Tomchei Temimim Yeshiva which he managed. The basement was primarily used to house the library. An elevator was installed in the building (rare in those days) and a large yard surrounded the house.
Based on the enclosed letter of authenticity, Rebbe Rayatz gave this bill to his daughter Rebbetzin Chana Gurary in 1940, before their move to their new home at 770, to purchase household items.
From his new home at 770, the Rayatz rebuilt the Chabad court and its institutions and continued another ten years of blessed activity until his death on 10th Shevat, 1950. His son-in-law Rebbe Menachem Mendel Schneerson, the Lubavitcher Rebbe, succeeded him and continued leading the Chabad movement's activities from this building.

Fair condition. Creases and extensive wear.

  Previous item
Next item